Care & Cleaning
To ensure your cabinetry looks good for generations to come, general upkeep and cleanliness is very importlant. Here are some tips to guide you through the proper ways of taking care of your new cabinetry, because after all life takes place in the kitchen, and life can get messy.
The catalyzed finish used on your DeWils cabinet requires a period of curing to take place. For 30 days after installation, extra care should be given until the film can achieve its full performance properties. When good maintenance procedures are followed the catalyzed finishes will beautify and protect for years to come.
Everyday Use Tips
Wipe up spills, splatters and water spots as they occur – keep the cabinets dry.
Residues such as smoke, cooking vapors, or body oils can be cleaned with a damp cloth with a small amount of high quality furniture cleaner.
Avoid placing small kitchen appliances where heat or steam is directed onto cabinet surfaces.
Avoid draping damp clothes or dishtowels over cabinet doors – excessive moisture can cause permanent damage.
Basic Cleaning Tips
- Use a clean soft cloth such as an old T-shirt, cheesecloth, flannel or chamois with no snaps or buttons that may scratch the surface.
- Using a soft, lint free cloth, clean as needed by applying a high quality furniture cleaner with warm water.
- It is a good practice to follow the grain of wood when cleaning and polishing.
- Dry the surfaces immediately with a soft cloth. Avoid using a dishcloth or sponge – it could contain remnants of grease or detergents.
- Do not use products with bleach, ammonia or abrasive additives.
- Never use scouring pads, steel wool or powdered cleaners.
- Do not allow oven cleaners to come in contact with wood finishes.
- Avoid the use of silicones and waxes. Polishes are the best choice for use. They contain detergents to clean the dirt, emulsifiers to give it body to clean and last longer, and mineral oil is left behind as a barrier for dirt and moisture while leaving no wax or silicone residue.
This information is also available as a downloadable PDF: Care & Cleaning Tips